Monday, May 19, 2008

what does it all mean?

i want to tell you all about a dream i had. one that when i woke up the next morning, was as vivid as if it had really happened, quite literally a day or two earlier.


i'm not one that has noticed signs. it's not that i don't believe in them, i've just never constructed moments in my life to foreshadow things to come - or conversly, things that have happened.


there are those that see dreams as a sign, or as some significant meaning. and after this last dream, it makes me wonder if my outlook should turn to include dreams as signs.


background first. my paternal grandfather passed away in october of 2007 of stomach cancer. it was a whirlwind - literally 9 weeks from diagnosis to passing. in april we (my family - the soon-to-be-missus, dad, stepmother, aunts & uncles) flew back to nebraska for his memorial with his surviving brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews (another post for another time i suppose). he was cremated, by the way, and we had to wait for the ground to thaw. so that brings us to the other night where i had the most peculiar dream.


important details:


-setting: church/reception hall - except all the seating was outside
-weather was mostly nice, however it changed (will describe)
-was sitting in the back row, with a space empty next to me. and my dad, i think, sitting on the other side of that open space.
-i can't say for sure what the event was, but i do know that we were all dressed very well - wedding, anniversary party, funeral/memorial - something along those lines.

the dream really started with me staring at the blank space, hearing chatter in th background - nothing specific. i was even turning to take part in the conversation - but again, nothing that i can remember. i do remember wondering why there was the space and why my dad and i weren't sitting next to eachother. the next thing i know there is a large panic coming from the general audience. looking around i see nothing, but i do hear "there is a storm coming." turning my head to look beyond us i see two things: the clouds, dark and ominous, coming closer and my now departed grandfather, sitting in the empty seat, a huge grin on his face and looking dapper in a fancy suit with his signature flat top.

i remember running to him. arms wrapping around him as i got there. i begged and pleaded with him to come, to move out of the way of the storm with the rest of us, but he wouldn't budge. the soon to be missus was pulling me, asking me to hurry and move out of the way of the storm. my grandfather, content as a bug, sat there, not budging - even somewhat shaking me off as if to say "all is fine, you go, i want to stay here."

the rest is a blur, or even non-existant. but i'm curious as to what it means. was it my way of finally letting go or of saying goodbye? i'm perplexed.

No comments: