Thursday, June 4, 2009

book update

as i mentioned before, i started the great gatsby. i'm not going to lie - it's been a long time since i've read a book that doesn't grab you straight out of the chute. or even a book from higher learning, so it's not going quickly.

i can say this though - i have no clue why people have been up in arms about this book. maybe there is more overt references to sex or worse language, but i haven't reached that point. i'm looking forward to finishing, hopefully by the end of the coming weekend.

but today, i left the book at work - so no reading that book tonight. because of that, i've decided to try something i haven't done in many many years. i'm going to start another book.

it was a toss up between harry potter and the half-blood prince (because of the movie and i don't remember the plot) and the kiterunner. both are on the list, so both are fair game. but i did swear to myself that i wasn't going to read all the harry potter books, so, the kiterunner by khaled hosseini it is.

cheers!

2 comments:

Jo said...

Bad news JR ... if you are struggling to make it through The Great Gatsby, you may struggle with some of the others on that list. However, The Kiterunner is AMAZING, and I highly recommend it. We recently saw the movie and it was a great adaptation of the book with only minor changes.

I'm curious as to why you don't like The Great Gatsby. Do you find anything about it to be interesting?

Can you link to that list of books so I can follow along with you as you read them?

(Sorry ... just super stoked that you're doing this!!)

JR said...

Hey Jo - stay tuned for the Great Gatsby review - my tune has changed a bit.

I know there are going to be books that I don't like, but I'm going to do it regardless. I think it'll be enriching and rewarding.

I will actually list the books in full here, as well as post the link everytime I write.

and don't be sorry - it's great to have your support :)